Electrical Engineering Assistant
Mission Essential Position. Design, install, modify, repair, troubleshoot, and maintain various electrical systems, controls, and equipment located in and near installation buildings and structures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Must have thorough knowledge of installation and maintenance of commercial electrical systems and associated equipment. Must have knowledge of principles of electricity & electronics, including computation and measurements of common properties such as resistance, inductance, capacitance, voltage, and current. Must have knowledge of construction, installation, operation, and troubleshooting of sophisticated circuitry and controls associated with unique projects. Must have working knowledge of associated trades such as power production and HVAC. Must be able to work individually and alongside other trades in maintaining equipment.
· Must be able to use and maintain a variety of hand, hydraulic, and power tools, such as screwdrivers, pliers, wire cutters, cable pullers, hand conduit benders, electrical conduit benders and pipe threading machines. In addition, must have knowledge of and use a wide variety of test equipment including test lamps, multi-meters, circuit analyzers, circuit breaker testers, voltage recording meters, meg ohm meter, watt meters, ohmmeters, and ammeters
· Must be able to install and maintain distribution lines of various voltages used to supply transformers, distribution panels, switchgear, power and control circuits, UPS systems, high intensity discharge lighting systems, and related equipment, install new circuits and equipment, move and/modify existing circuits and equipment when required. Must be able to test maintain lightning protection components. Must be able to work on energized systems
· Must be able to assist engineers in the design and implementation of a wide variety of electrical systems. Must have wide knowledge of various parts used in the electrical field and be able to research parts and equipment utilizing various methods to include printed matter and computer based matter. Validate and oversee contracts and contractors work, give technical support to Sector complex tenants. Creates and modifies blueprints and documents panel schedule changes. Keeps blueprints and panel schedules up to date with most current changes. Maintains facility maintenance records.
· Must be willing to learn and perform Sector Battle Control Center (BCC) utilities operator tasks
· Must be able to work from blueprints, wiring diagrams and schematics, engineering drawings, technical manuals, maintenance manuals, and repair manuals to determine the necessary and proper repairs and/or replacements. Follow all Air Force regulations, local base regulations, National Safety Code (NFPA 70E) and National Electrical Code (NFPA 70).
· Must be able to troubleshoot and repair defective equipment and faulty wiring
· Must be able to troubleshoot electrical circuits containing electronic components in order to isolate the cause of the malfunction, whether electrical or electronic, in complex relay logic circuits for electrical control systems, computer interface devices, analog/digital controls, and solid state motor control circuits
· Test and maintain gasoline and diesel generators for proper electrical output. Conduct periodic load tests to ensure adequacy of back-up power systems. Troubleshoot and diagnose complex repair situations involving the electrical components of electrical power production, power distribution, and HVAC systems. Systems include a wide variety of compressors, refrigerant, motor controls and other components
· Must utilize safe practices and procedures following established safety rules and regulations. Maintain a safe and clean work environment. Use required safety equipment and clothing (PPE). Use lock-out/tag-out program and follow all locally developed safety programs. Wear protective clothing and gear and required. May work with hazardous materials such as asbestos or accumulated waste. May work in confined spaces. Must have the ability to discern colors, contrast, and depth. Must not be afraid of heights. Will be required to learn CPR
· Emergency after hours and overtime work may be required
· Gather requisitions for office supplies, printing support, and related materials and services.
· Update tracker or suspense files as required.
· A high degree of technical and research skills required.
· Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.
· Knowledge of and ability to use hand tools.
· Knowledge of and ability to use power tools and machine tools.
· Knowledge of and ability to use test, measurement, and diagnostic equipment.
· Security clearance is required.
· High School Diploma or equivalent.
· Minimum of 5 years experience as a licensed Journeyman Electrician.
· SysCom staff, executives and management.
· Serves as liaison between department and other departments as well as with outside customers, regulatory personnel, and organizations, etc.