Range Structural Engineer
Security Clearance Requirement: ACTIVE SECRET DOD
Responsible for planning andoverseeing the execution of all range operations.
Major Activities (Typical Duties/Responsibilities)
- Perform range engineering functions and duties including blast and ballistic test design, data acquisition planning, test goals development, test and safety plan development, test range test approval, and range clearance coordination.
- Perform structural engineering activities including, design of test structure components and testing facilities, advanced computer modeling and analysis techniques, and field engineering support for construction of blast test structures.
- Perform detailed structural design and analysis of civil engineering works including structures of steel, reinforced concrete and masonry.
- Investigate structural stresses, load distributions, stability factors and failure probabilities.
- Prepare, review, check, and direct the preparation of layouts, construction specifications paragraphs and other construction documents, detailed engineering documents, lists of bid items, quantity estimates, comparative cost studies, and computations.
- Work with internal and external project designers and engineers to create detailed 2D and 3D visual representations of projects/products.
- Interpret drawings and specifications; identify and correct deficiencies in design plans during construction of all types of products including tools, equipment, facilities, and/or systems.
- Prepare reports of findings and recommend changes in design or specifications.
- Perform a variety of mechanical and civil/structural/materials engineering design, drafting tasks, and plan layout work.
- Perform all activities related to the creation of Computer Aided Design (CAD) models, Computer Numerical Control (CNC) programs, drawings and feasibility documentation needed to support program timing while meeting form and fit requirements.
- Provide CAD and related support to new or modified product designs, component selections, and/or generate complete assembly or component layouts.
- Perform and properly document clearance checks, layout studies, layout reports, fastener stack-up studies, fit studies, and any other studies required by assigned programs
- Utilize various engineering tools including CAD equipment, in assigned projects as applicable. Process engineering information through proper communication means.
- Prepare engineering drawings. Independently plan the methods to portray and prepare engineering drawings involving original designs or modification of previous designs.
- Prepare sets or groups of drawings of new or changed facilities, equipment, and systems from engineers’ sketches, marked up prints, and verbal instructions.
- Translate ideas, rough sketches, specifications, and calculations of engineers, architects, and designers into complete and accurate working drawings.
- Make site investigations to verify and note details of existing conditions and requirements.
- Make mathematic computations by using standard formulas for dimensions, scale, and area.
- Prepare notes on drawings using standard abbreviations and engineering terms.
- Interpret drawings, plans and specifications and take action or make recommendations based on preliminary data interpretation or analysis.
- Use standard mathematical formulas to make computations; identify and correct deficiencies; and prepare and present reports and documentation requiring a high degree of precision and use a variety of projection techniques to portray unusual or complex designs.
- Develop and store, catalog, maintain, and update drawings, layouts, and details.
- Develop and support complex algorithms for creating and manipulating layout data.
- Develop end user documentation and application notes for tools and flows.
- Direct customer interface in a debug and support role. Coordinate internal resolution of customer issues. Internal issue tracking and follow-up to ensure resolution
- Interact with fabricators to provide designs for assembly and fabrication. Perform advanced multi-scale modeling and simulation of heterogeneous materials, processes and structures.
- Use programing and scripting appropriate languages to code and operate Finite Element Analysis and Computational Fluid Dynamics analysis codes
- Perform computer-aided engineering/manufacturing using standard Computer-Aided Design tools for civil engineering structures.
- Perform complex/custom design, process automation, and model customization. Program and script custom routines using standard code.
- Develop training materials and deliver classes to AFCEC personnel.
- Support range activities by assisting with set-up, test measurement and tear down.
- Generate Final reports and Test and Safety plans in customer approved formats.
- Use PPE and safety practices, and maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Aid other Range and Operations Support (RAOS) functions as necessary.
- Position may require travel, overtime and shift work.
- Ability to execute blast & ballistic testing, experiment design, data reduction and analysis.
- Knowledge and ability to perform tasks associated with development and implementation of blast and ballistic testing on ranges and facilities
- Knowledge of civil and other engineering principles necessary to design, implement and test materials, structures, protection concepts and designs necessary for blast and ballistic testing
- Knowledge and ability to perform advanced multiscale modeling and simulation of heterogeneous materials, processes and structures using the laws of mechanics.
- Knowledge and ability to develop advanced and innovative modeling approaches and numerical strategies to represent complex multidisciplinary engineering interactions
- Ability to operate Finite Element Analysis & Computational Fluid Dynamics analysis codes
- Knowledge and ability to perform computer-aided engineering/manufacturing using standard Computer-Aided Design tools for civil engineering structures (e.g., AutoCAD)
- Perform complex/custom design, process automation, and model customization. Program and script custom routines using standard code (e.g., C, C++, Unix, Perl, SKILL, and Tcl-Direct).
- Knowledge and ability to develop, test and support complex algorithms for analysis of empirical data using common mathematical and statistical analysis programs (e.g., ADaMSoft, COMCOL, DataPlot, Mathematica, MATLAB, Minitab, SAS, SCaViS, SPSS)
- Knowledge and ability to perform internal tracking, direct customer interface, and follow-up in a debug and support role to ensure issue resolution
- Knowledge and ability to document end-user feedback and incorporate it into software tools
- Knowledge and ability to develop training materials and deliver classes to AFCEC personnel
- Possession of excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of 3D Parametric CAD and ability to produce 3 dimensional drawings.
- Able to read and comprehend detailed requirements, data sheets and supplier specifications.
- Able to read engineering drawing and blueprints
- Required familiarity with drafting techniques and engineering concepts and terminology
- Experience with construction materials, structures and/or prototyping
- Experience with creating alignments, profiles, cross sections, and surface development.
- Experience in preparing documentation to support design drawings.
- Understanding of fabrication processes, and translating drawings into physical products
- Ability to create sheet metal developments, and other fabrication drawings including generating lists of materials for fabricating products.
- Ability to organize, and layout large scale projects under tightly managed project timelines
- Knowledge of math and scientific concepts, strong computer skills, an eye for detail, and knowledge of the components needed to create real-world versions of their virtual designs.
- Working knowledge of standard office automation computer applications.
- Ability to work shift work and additional hours during exercises and contingencies. Current, active, DoD Secret Security Clearance required.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in civil, structural, mechanical engineering.
- Minimum 5 years of experience with Computer Aided Design experience in RDT&E.
- Minimum 2 years of experience mechanical or structural design experience.
- Prior education/training in basic electronics, electrical systems, and mechanical assembly.
- Valid Driver’s license.
- AFCEC Customer representatives, Contracting Representative, SysCom staff.
- Serves as liaison between department and other departments as well as with outside customers, regulatory personnel, and organizations, etc.